If you’re looking for a healthy way to make Japanese Fried Chicken, look no further! Air Fryer Karaage is the perfect combination of crunchiness, tenderness, and seasoning that makes it an ideal dish. Not only is this dish incredibly simple to make in an air fryer with just a few steps from start to finish but it’s also ready in less than 20 minutes.
Whether you’re looking for an impressive appetizer or meal idea for dinner tonight, this classic Japanese fried chicken recipe will satisfy everyone at your table. Let us show you how easy it is to turn karaage into a flavorful masterpiece with our foolproof method.
What is Air Fryer Karaage?
If you’re a fan of chicken then you’re going to love Air Fryer Karaage! It’s a Japanese style of fried chicken that is cooked in an air fryer. It’s easy to make and can be a great alternative to cooking chicken in the oven. Not only is air fryer karaage healthy and cholesterol-free, but it’s also delicious! Serve it with your favorite dipping sauce or on top of some rice for an unforgettable meal experience!
Benefits of Air Fryer Karaage?
Karaage, also known as Japanese fried chicken, is a popular dish that is typically made by coating bite-sized pieces of chicken in a mixture of flour and seasonings, and then deep frying them in oil. While deep frying can result in delicious and crispy karaage, it can also be unhealthy due to the high-fat content of the oil.
One benefit of using an air fryer to make karaage is that it can produce similar results to deep frying, with a crispy and crunchy exterior and tender and juicy interior, but with less oil. This can make the karaage healthier, as it will contain less fat and calories. Air fryers do not produce as much oil splatter or require as much oil, so there is less mess to clean up.
Related Article: Easy to Make Soyaki Sauce Recipe
Recipe for Air Fryer Karaage?
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips and cut the onion into thin strips.
- Mix together the soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper in a bowl. Add the chicken strips and onion strips to the bowl and coat evenly with the soy sauce mixture.
- Place the vegetable oil and flour in another bowl and stir to combine. Pour half of the mixture into a shallow dish. Dip each strip of chicken in the mixture, then place it in the shallow dish with the rest of the mixture. Repeat until all of the chicken strips are coated. (You will end up with some leftover marinade.)
- Make sure the chicken strips are properly spaced out on a single sheet before placing them in the air fryer. Cook for 18 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot!
Related Article: Blackstone Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Can I freeze karaage for later use?
Yes, you can freeze karaage for future use. Just place it in an airtight container and store it in a cool place. When you’re ready to eat it, defrost it and fry it as usual.
Is karaage safe to eat if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
Thanks for asking! Karaage is a dish made of chicken that is deeply fried, and there has been no reported case of karaage being harmful to pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers as long as the chicken used in the dish is cooked properly and without added MSG or other additives.
This air fryer karaage recipe is inspired by the popular street food you can find throughout Japan. Serve the karaage with lemon wedges and enjoy it as part of a bento box lunch or on its own as an appetizer. Now that you know how to make air fryer karaage, give it a try!